Frequently Asked Questions

As a Faculty member, how do I know if a student has a disability?

You will probably know only if a student presents a 504 Accommodation form to you from the Office of Student Accommodation & Testing. These forms indicate the accommodations for which the student legally qualifies.

How are Disability Support Services academic services determined?

Students must present documentation from a qualified professional clearly stating a diagnosis of a disability to the Disability Support Services Program. After meeting with the student, the Academic Advisor then determines the appropriate services. It is important to note that there are different kinds of disabilities:

  • Learning -- learning disabilities (LD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD/ADHD)
  • Physical -- acute arthritis, lupus, hearing loss, blindness
  • Psychological -- Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety Disorder

How are classroom accommodations determined?

Classroom accommodations (note takers, interpreters, etc...) are determined by the Office of Student Accommodations & Testing (OSAT), not the Disability Support Services program. You can reach the OSAT at 316-978-3309 or /services/disability-services/

Why does the Disability Support Services program need proof of my income?

Disability Support Services is one of seven federally funded TRIO Programs hosted by 新加坡六合彩开奖网. We are required by federal regulations from the Department of Education to report if a student participating in our program is considered to be a low-income student. At least one-thirds of our participants must be low income and all must have a documented disability.

How do I know my tutor is qualified to help me?

Each DSS tutor is interviewed by 2 or more staff members before they are hired. Tutors are required to complete tutor orientation before they are assigned students. A tutor must maintain a 3.0 GPA and have completed the course work in which they are tutoring with a "B" or better.

What should I do if I think a student has an undiagnosed disability?

Talk to the student, share your observations, and then refer him or her to Disability Support Services. On more than one occasion, thanks to observant faculty, undiagnosed students have been referred to our office who have later been assessed with a learning disability. On the occasion when the diagnosis does not indicate a learning disability, Academic Advisors can provide referrals to other resources on campus.

Where can I go for help with other questions that I have?

Visit our office at 158 Grace Wilkie Annex, or call us at 316-978-5949.